In the field of English Language Teaching, teachers have always been searching for the best method through which they could make their classroom learning environment a more efficient and effective one. Therefore, they have demanded that the method they have chosen fit all teaching/learning contexts. However, it is not likely that there is one unique method in language teaching that appeals to all learning environments. Recent language teaching experiences have introduced a shift away from the conventional concept of method toward a different understanding, called ‘the post-method’ era. This current concept suggests that the teacher’s practical experience supplemented by theoretical knowledge and classroom research forms a base for his/her actual classroom teaching, and therefore not a single method in the history of language teaching can meet all classroom teaching needs although the underlying principles of each method/approach are still invaluable.
In this year’s conference, as BİLGİ English Language Programs we aim to create a path to reach the inner treasure of each learning environment. On this journey we will be hosting many great names to light our way in the post-method era:
- Herbert Puchta, Professor of English at the Teacher Training University in Graz, ustria and the former president of IATEFL; author ELT books
- Penny Ur, has taught B.A. and M.A. courses at Oranim Academic College of Education and Haifa University; author of ELT books
- Evrim Kuran, Middle East Director of Universum, Employer Branding Research and Consulting Company; co-founder of Dinamo Training and Consulting
- Gordon Lewis, Vice President, Laureate Languages at Laureate International Universities
- Simon Phipps, Director of ATI (Anatolia Training Institute)
- Nergis Akbay, Director of School of Languages, Özyeğin University,
- Engin Ayvaz, Director of School of Modern Languages, Yaşar University; Commission on English Language Program Accreditation (CEA) Commissioner and Site Reviewer
- Çiğdem Tirkeş, Director of English Preparatory School, Kadir Has University
- Jane Dunphy, Director of MIT’s English Language Studies Program
- Burcu Tezcan-Unal, EFL teacher and Level Coordinator at Zayed University, the UAE; (EdD) doctorate student at the University of Liverpool, Leadership in Higher Education
There will also be concurrent sessions given by English teachers, ELT professionals, Teacher Trainers, and ELT project winners from different institutions in Turkey and around the world.
Participation to the İstanbul Bilgi University 5th ELT Conference will be free. İstanbul Bilgi University will organize a free lunch for conference participants. The day will also be full of surprises to energize us all, lift our spirits and make this an event to remember for all. Be ready to enjoy a day full of intellectual exchange as well as entertainment throughout the day.
We promise you an unforgettable event and cordially invite you all to İstanbul Bilgi University 5th ELT Conference on May 9, 2015 at santralistanbul Campus.